Direct to content
Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland

Student's residence permit - Embassy of Finland, Washington - Consulate Generals of Finland, New York, Los Angeles : Visas and residence permits : Students


  • Embassy of Finland, Washington
    Tel. +1-202-298 5800,
  • Consulate General of Finland, New York
    Tel. +1-212-750 4400,
  • Consulate General of Finland, Los Angeles
    Tel. +1-310-203 9903,
  • Contacts
English | Suomi | Svenska | Español |  |  |  |  | 

Student's residence permit

Customer service

By appointment only

Embassy, Washington D.C.
Tel: +1-202-298 5800
Customer service by appointment only Mon-Fri 9.00 am -12.00 pm
Telephone inquiries: Mon-Fri 9.00 am -12.00 pm
Please note: Finnish Embassy no longer issues visas. Visa applicants residing in Washington D.C., Virginia or Maryland should contact VFS Global

Consulate General, New York
Tel. +1-212-750 4400
Customer service by appointment only: Mon-Fri 9.00 am -12.00 pm, both Mon and Thu 1.30 pm - 4.30 pm
Telephone inquiries: Mon-Fri 9.00 am -12.00 pm

Consulate General, Los Angeles
Tel: +1-310-203 9903
Customer service by appointment only Mon-Thu 9.00 am-12.00 pm
Telephone inquiries: Mon-Thu 1.00 pm-2.00 pm, Fri 10.00 am-12.00 pm

If you are not a citizen of EU, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland and you wish to study in Finland for more than 90 days you must apply for and obtain a residence permit before leaving for Finland. 

EU and comparable nationals do not need a residence permit. However they must register their residence in Finland with the local police station no later than three months after arriving in the country.

Nationals of Nordic countries (Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Iceland) can enter Finland without restrictions and stay in the country without a residence permit.

How to apply?

Register at and fill in the application form OLE_OPI.

  • Remember to include all the required  attachments.
  • All of your attachments must be in English, Finnish or Swedish. Use an official translator if you need to have your documents translated.
  • Contact a Finnish embassy or consulate and arrange a meeting to have your fingerprints taken.
  • Remember to bring the original attachments and your passport with you to the embassy or consulate.
  • Remember to indicate the day you are planning to arrive in Finland on your application form.

Have your fingerprints taken at the embassy or consulate

All residence permit applicants must have their fingerprints taken at a Finnish embassy or consulate. No exceptions are made, even if you submit your application electronically. The application will not be processed until you have visited the embassy or consulate and had your fingerprints taken.

Acceptance letter from the school, university or exchange organization

If your acceptance letter was sent to you by e-mail, attach the forwarding e-mail from the school to your application.

If the educational institution in Finland has granted any financial benefits, attach a letter indicating the contents and the duration of the benefits (e.g. meals, housing).

You must have sufficient funds

Before you go to Finland, make sure that your finances will be sufficient for the entire period of your studies.

Students are required to have 560 EUR per month or 6720 EUR per year at their disposal. Degree students must have funds for one year at a time. Exchange students must have funds for the entire time they intend to spend in Finland.

Please remember that bank statements from the student’s parents or shared/joint accounts are not accepted. Check out to find out what kind of documents are accepted. Behind the link you will also find more information about sufficient finances.

Please write a cover letter stating your current contact information, your permanent address and phone number in that address to which residence permit card is to be returned.

Applicants under 18 years of age, not travelling with a parent, must present a notarized parental authorization for moving to Finland.

Health insurance

You will need private insurance for your residence permit to cover your medical and medicine expenses.

You can find more information about the kind of insurance you need from the Finnish Immigration Service

It is a precondition for obtaining a residence permit that the student has valid health insurance cover with a reliable and solvent company or institution. Your insurance certificate must indicate the insured person, the coverage and amounts of benefit, the validity period and the geographical area in which the insurance is valid.

A student must have insurance cover when applying for a residence permit as without it a residence permit cannot be granted. A residence permit cannot be issued for a period exceeding the period of the insurance cover.

The Finnish Immigration Service will process your application. You can find more information about the average processing times on the website of the Immigration Service.

The process cannot be started until payment is received. It is not advisable to make any final travel arrangements, particularly purchase of non-refundable air tickets for specific date, prior to approval of your application.

Processing fee

See more information about processing fee and possible postal fee.

© Embassy of Finland, Washington - Consulates General of Finland, New York and Los Angeles
 | About this site | Contact information