A passport must be applied in person. Documents shall be presented both original and copy.
An appointment is required from the Honorary Consulate directly:
Honorary Consul Olavi Göös
2246 West Homer Street
Chicago, IL 60647
Tel.: 773- 946 8525
A passport application can only be processed if the applicant´s personal data (eg. name, date/place of birth and citizenship) is correct and up-to-date in the Finnish Population Information System according to Act of Population Information (661/2009). Eg. name change due to marriage or a child born outside Finland shall be registered in the Finnish population information system before submitting a passport application. More information: http://www.maistraatti.fi/.
Documents must be presented both original and copy:
- Passport photo max 6 months old according to police instructions (www.poliisi.fi): eg. neutral facial expression, taken from front (no tilt one´s head, not having chin too up/down), enough light backdrop above the head, not too dark/light, no reflection of the eyeglasses or bows front of the eyes, no hair covering the face, no retouching
- Previous Finnish passport + copy of ID-page. If there is no previous passport or it has expired, a valid identity card is required + copy.
- US visa or residence permit = Green Card +copy (if an applicant is only a Finnish citizen).
- Applicants of dual citizenship shall register the US citizenship in the Finnish Population Information system. If the registration is not done, an original document of the date when the foreign citizenship was obtained is required: eg. an US citizenship naturalization or a birth certificate (+copy).
- Male applicants age of 17-30: a document of military service status: eg. military passport, certificate of exemption or suspension order + copy
- A minor applicant under 18 years of age: an identity document of the applicant and both custodians. If both custodians cannot be present, a written consent with date and signature from the other custodian together with a copy of an ID.
- Passport fee 150 USD + FedEx dispatch fee 10 USD: exact amount in cash or Money Order. No credit cards nor personal checks.
Further information concerning passport applications:
Honorary Consulate, Chicago
Honorary Consul Olavi Göös
Tel.: (773) 946 8525
Consulate General of Finland, New York
Consul Jaana Honkakunnas or Vice Consul Päivi Urosevic
Tel. (212) 750 4400
Web: www.finland.org (Services for Finns- Passport)
Please note, that the Consulate General of Finland in New York reserves the right to cancel/reschedule the passport journey or have delay of delivery due to technical reasons.
Passport applications can be submitted also in Finland at the local police station. More information: www.poliisi.fi.